I don’t know about you – but sometimes you just need a quick snack that wont throw you off track! You know, those moments when your STARVING because you were out and about and went past the point of hunger?! Well, here come Macadamia Nuts to save your day (and your state of ketosis) !!
Macadamia nuts have the highest fat content of any tree nut – and it’s healthy fat! Monounsaturated fatty acids to be exact. They are made up of up to 75% fat which explains why they are so delicious! Here are a few reasons you should add these delicious balls of sunshine to your Ketogenic Diet:
- Palmitoleic Acid – This fatty acid is an omega-7 which is extremely rare. cardiovascular health, lower triglycerides, lower inflammation, reduced blood pressure, and reduced lipid levels. This fatty acid has been linked to It has shown to be a large component of a fatty coating around neurons called Myelin. This helps to preserve your long term brain health which can help keep neurodegenerative diseases and mental disorders at bay.
- Copper – We need copper to efficiently absorb and utilize Iron, which is very important to transporting oxygen to our brain.
- Fiber – Enough said?!
- Healthy fats + Fiber + Antioxidants = Helping to prevent disease! Antioxidants prevent and can reduce cell damage caused by free radicals.
- Calcium + Phosphorus + Magnesium is shown to prevent bone demineralization. (This benefit is only with non-salted nuts)
- Magnesium – It fights inflammation – when we have excess inflammation we are at a higher risk of developing diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
These delicious nuts – which are actually a seed native to Australia, are on the more pricey side. We recommend purchasing them in bulk for a larger discount at your local health food store! I purchase mine at a store called Fresh Thyme or Whole Foods. Once I get them home (and devour a handful) I store them in a glass jar with an airtight lid. For example a Ball Jar works nicely and looks good in your pantry.